PDA

View Full Version : What Can We Learn From Lil-Wayne

shamsdebout
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Wayne aint never been a huge seller when it comes to albums, couple of his albums went under the radar. Now at this late time in the game he comes in a harsh market and goes Platinum in the first week. He is doing better than 50 cent and Kanye West at the moment, all this in spite of critics and a photo that I thought would kill his career.

Its amazing really, and its not accidental. Wayne did work hard, dropping countless mixtapes and getting himself out there, while some thought he over-saturated his exposure, the results may say otherwise.

Then he did the best thing a music artist can do, he dropped a single that the people wanted to hear.

As far as promotion, to my knowledge he had no one promoting this album, not many adds, he did the promotion. They even pushed back his album, and it was leaked.

Discuss what can be learned from Lil-Wayne success.

The Illustrious One
06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I learned that Irv Gotti need to learn to know that making songs, and putting them out doesn't mean that you're wasting them.

Check on Gotti's Way, when he told Ja Rule that he is wasting his rhymes if he keeps on putting out music.

That's exactly what Lil Wayne has been doing, and it made him a big artist now.

I really think if Ja Rule acts like a new rapper now, and starts just putting out a whole lot of remixes to songs, freestyles, and just putting out music all the time, he will catch a spark.

And like 3-4 mixtapes of straight spitting on beats, not songs, but just freestyling and spitting on songs. People will take notice.

Ja Rule if you're reading this man, listen to me. Hit me up.

murda mami
06-19-2008, 11:05 AM
waynes a good rapper, but i just couldnt bring myslef to listen to the whole of that damn lollipop song!!!
but defnitly stays out there, hes got like a billion mixtapes, a billion collabos.

i agree wit wat ahmed says, dont stop makin that music!!! it pays of at the end!

Nickolai
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Basically we learned he's a sell out and buys his own albums

shamsdebout
06-19-2008, 11:25 AM
I learned that Irv Gotti need to learn to know that making songs, and putting them out doesn't mean that you're wasting them.

Check on Gotti's Way, when he told Ja Rule that he is wasting his rhymes if he keeps on putting out music.

That's exactly what Lil Wayne has been doing, and it made him a big artist now.

I really think if Ja Rule acts like a new rapper now, and starts just putting out a whole lot of remixes to songs, freestyles, and just putting out music all the time, he will catch a spark.

And like 3-4 mixtapes of straight spitting on beats, not songs, but just freestyling and spitting on songs. People will take notice.

Ja Rule if you're reading this man, listen to me. Hit me up.

I agree, the thing is Ja wanted to put out music, he is like the only artist that doesn't have mixtapes. And that is selfish of Irv Gotti, I mean whats wrong with hitting up teh fans with throw-away tracks, Gotti is very arrogant and that is his downfall. Hit the fans up with some free music man.

DeReK I.N.C
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
ok i like lil wayne But all i think we have learnt is that even tho i think his album is a good album the best album this year. THe fact is he could of put a Trash album and it would of sold 500k 1st week. I dont no how to say this but ppl are hot and do well cause theye are allowed to, Lets sasy it was Ja who put out that album that same album it would off been lucky too see nummbers like 150k - 200k 1st week. The fact is Lil Wayne has just been the " Flavor of the month " for the past year and ppl say his promotion was not great His name was on every Hip hop web site every week talking about his mix tapes talking about the album talking about the hottes MC's in the game all that crap every 1 wanted to hear what lil wayne had to say and when he said it he would be put up on a hand full of web sites, So why spend more money doing extra promotion when your name is allover the Net ???? oh and 1 other thing
Basically we learned he's a sell out and buys his own albums

^ u are an idiot

Nickolai
06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
No, I'm not. You're ignorant if you don't think Cash Money bought Weezy albums. Interscope do it with 50, Def Jam do it with Kanye and Jay. It's well known

shamsdebout
06-19-2008, 05:15 PM
ok i like lil wayne But all i think we have learnt is that even tho i think his album is a good album the best album this year. THe fact is he could of put a Trash album and it would of sold 500k 1st week. I dont no how to say this but ppl are hot and do well cause theye are allowed to, Lets sasy it was Ja who put out that album that same album it would off been lucky too see nummbers like 150k - 200k 1st week. The fact is Lil Wayne has just been the " Flavor of the month " for the past year and ppl say his promotion was not great His name was on every Hip hop web site every week talking about his mix tapes talking about the album talking about the hottes MC's in the game all that crap every 1 wanted to hear what lil wayne had to say and when he said it he would be put up on a hand full of web sites, So why spend more money doing extra promotion when your name is allover the Net ???? oh and 1 other thing

^ u are an idiot

If Ja dropped a single that was #1 on the charts, he would sell records

elcuppan
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
i cant agree totally...cause allot of people i know only heard of lil wayne on lollipop....so i think he went pop to sell numbers (been dun b4)..and also the hip hop community been waitn a while 4 tha carter 3 nd kopped it...it just so happens the album is heat...they were clever..nd yes i do believe baby bought albums..but the numbers were still pretty decent..and it not as if it dont make sence cause the album is hot...

DeReK I.N.C
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
No, I'm not. You're ignorant if you don't think Cash Money bought Weezy albums. Interscope do it with 50, Def Jam do it with Kanye and Jay. It's well known

ok tell me how much of the Million + that he sold Cash Money got ?????

D-block fan
06-20-2008, 12:34 AM
what can we learn from lil wayne is that if you mumble into a mic and act like your lyrical you will be the "greates"

shamsdebout
06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
i cant agree totally...cause allot of people i know only heard of lil wayne on lollipop....so i think he went pop to sell numbers (been dun b4)..and also the hip hop community been waitn a while 4 tha carter 3 nd kopped it...it just so happens the album is heat...they were clever..nd yes i do believe baby bought albums..but the numbers were still pretty decent..and it not as if it dont make sence cause the album is hot...

He dropped a hit though, the biggest hit of 2008. Its not easy to do that, just ask Ja Rule. Anticipation for his album because he was working his butt of when mixtapes and features.

elcuppan
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
He dropped a hit though, the biggest hit of 2008. Its not easy to do that, just ask Ja Rule. Anticipation for his album because he was working his butt of when mixtapes and features.

but he went pop for it though...lollipop aint that great..it catchy...it does work...first time i heard of ja rule was on the "im real" remix ..and that album just so happened to be the biggest sellin of HIS CARRER!!...some people heard of wayne for the first time on lollipop..FACT....ja can make good songs..he always has..its just that no one really checkin 4 him anymore lol

Nickolai
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
You knew this one was coming. First, of all, the record industry is singing a sigh of relief after Wayne did his numbers. When I reported on his numbers sold, I said two things. I said that my sources at Universal said he moved 960,000. Then, I said other sources high up in retail said that Weezy did over a million. The sales of the album were remarkable to say the least, but some are theorizing that he may have gotten some help. Back in the day, labels would buy back their own CDs so that an artist had a great first week sales to generate excitement around the project. So, they hope it will sell a mill the first week and then eventually move 2 million or in Wayne’s case 5 gazillion. How Wayne overcame an epic leak like that is beyond me. Congrats are in order, but the rumors persist…did he really sell “a milli?”

And you're a fool, just cuz Wayne did a track wit Ja, you're all on his dick

shamsdebout
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
but he went pop for it though...lollipop aint that great..it catchy...it does work...first time i heard of ja rule was on the "im real" remix ..and that album just so happened to be the biggest sellin of HIS CARRER!!...some people heard of wayne for the first time on lollipop..FACT....ja can make good songs..he always has..its just that no one really checkin 4 him anymore lol

The thing about Wayne is that he made a hit even though he had alot of critics, he had the whole picture of him kissing baby - Thats pretty bad

Ja Rule - Got hit with he sings on tracks/Fake Thug

Wayne really had a bigger issue to deal with, he dusted it off and sold records, It aint like everybody moving alot of records. Most people are dropping radio-friendly singles, look at Flo-Rida he dropped a hit but didn't get sales. So what Wayne did is remarkable.

Nickolai
06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
^^^ The picture of him kissing Baby only reached out to people in Hip Hop. The one's who buy Wayne's album don't know shit bout Hip Hop, they just on the outside looking in and believe all the bullshit that comes outta Weezy's mouth

tjjohnson
06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Weezy gotta alot of hype around him.