PDA

View Full Version : 03/09 Wenger eyes take-off after blip

Dermo
03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Arsene Wenger is confident his Arsenal side can 'take-off' once more, despite dropping two valuable points at Wigan Athletic.

The Gunners have stuttered in the Premier League of late, and Sunday's 0-0 draw with Wigan was their third successive stalemate.

Wenger's men remain top of the table, two points above Manchester United, but the Red Devils now have a game in hand.

And while the Frenchman admits his side have faltered in recent weeks, he is sure they have the quality to bounce back from their disappointment.

"I am sure we will take-off again. We have to keep our calm, focus and belief," he told Sky Sports News.

"I don't know, we shall see at the end of the season (whether it was two points dropped or a point gained).

"You go through a patch like that sometimes. The negative is that we have a deficit in points. The positive is that we didn't lose a game.

"Overall, there was room for us to take more. Not against Aston Villa - the point was what we deserved - but against Birmingham and today we lost four points."

Wenger went on to praise Steve Bruce's men after they nullified Arsenal's attacking threat.

"We are disappointed because we wanted to win this game. We played a serious game and didn't give any chances away at the back," he continued.

"Defensively we were very sound. We had chances but we did not take them. We were focused but we lacked sharpness, maybe.

"But I must say for our strikers it was an extremely difficult game today because Wigan did fight very, very hard - and congratulations to them."

Wenger went on to criticise the JJB Stadium's playing surface, saying: "It is not a professional football pitch.

"The pitch is a disaster. It is disrespectful for the fans who come and pay money to see that."

Wenger conceded that the midweek UEFA Champions League success in Milan may have taken its toll on his players.

"It is very difficult to say (if it had an effect), a little bit of course," he said.

"You can not go from such an intense game - especially mentally - to be at your best a few days later."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3273221,00.html

Flash
03-10-2008, 05:11 AM
arsenal will fall its just a matter of time......

Capo Di Tutti
03-10-2008, 05:46 AM
man utd is 2 point behind wid a game in hand i think mentally arsenal are under alot of pressure because of that man utd just keep breathing down the arsenal necks i think man u will win this epl campaign reason being is man u is more mature than arsenal and arsenal are still so young they will have a dynasty and it will start next season just like man u in the late 90's