PDA

View Full Version : 02/06 Keane to play on with Ireland

Dermo
02-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane says he has no plans to retire from international football.

Defensive duo Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien have recently confirmed their intention not to play for Ireland again.

But the national team's all-time leading scorer Keane revealed he is not looking to follow suit by walking away from the international arena.

"People have their own opinions and you have to ask them," Keane told reporters. "If people are going to retire they're going to have their own reasons.

"So I can't really comment for them. I can only comment on what would be my situation. And there's no way that I'm going to be retiring."

Keane is also looking forward to the appointment of a new Ireland coach, with Steve Staunton's replacement expected to be named by the end of next week.

He added: "I'm sure we will find out in the next 10 days or so. I don't mind who takes over as long as they have the best interests in Ireland and aim to do well for the team.

"Whoever does take over will have a great set of lads to work with and players who really want to do well.

"I think everyone would want the manager sooner rather than later. I think it has gone on longer than people probably expected.

"It will only be a matter of time, a week to 10 days, before a manager is announced. Then the whole team can move on."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3112759,00.html