PDA

View Full Version : F1: Hamilton - No excuses this year

Dermo
01-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Lewis Hamilton says he will offer no excuses if he fails to win the Formula One World Championship in 2008.

Having led the title race for much of his rookie season last year, the Briton ultimately fell short of the Drivers' Championship after losing out to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

While Raikkonen embarked on a late-season run of form, mistakes from both Hamilton and his McLaren-Mercedes team allowed the Finn to overhaul a 17-point deficit during the final two races.

However, this season Hamilton reckons he is equipped with both the experience and the package he needs to take the World Championship.

"In terms of my (overall) package, there's no excuses," he said.

"Last year the only excuse was that I was a rookie and that it was all new. But this year, I'll continue to learn, so sure, there will always be mistakes but I don't feel there is any room for error.

"Last year I was even surprised by how consistent I was and how little mistakes I made. But this year I have no doubts.

"I know I'm going to be better prepared. I'm already better prepared. And I think we have a better package this year."

With Hamilton's former team-mate Fernando Alonso prematurely ending his tense relationship with McLaren last November and heading back to Renault, 2008 sees Heikki Kovalainen heading in the opposite direction.

However, in line with McLaren's principal of equal treatment which so irked Alonso last year, Hamilton said that he will not be the team's number one driver.

"No I don't (feel like the natural leader)," he said. "I think I established myself as equal last year.

"I just like fairness and I want Heikki Kovalainen to have the exact same opportunities and if he does and I beat him, there's the reward."

Of his increasingly fraught relationship with two-times World Champion Alonso, Hamilton added his belief that, through the Spaniard's actions, he has learned the right way to behave.

"I think I established myself as equal last year," he said. "He was (the leader) at the beginning, but it changed. Well, he thought he was (the No1 driver) at the beginning.

"But I don't think that should be the case, we should be a team. It should be equal. He showed me just how not to behave as an F1 driver."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_3077010,00.html