PDA

View Full Version : 01/04 Harbhajan facing race probe

$tate
01-05-2008, 04:24 AM
India spinner Harbhajan Singh has been cited for an alleged incident of racial abuse during the second Test in Sydney.

Harbhajan is accused of making racist remarks to Australia's Andrew Symonds during the third day's play, the International Cricket Council said.

The citing was made by umpires Mark Benson and Steve Bucknor following a complaint from Australia captain Ricky Ponting, although Harbhajan immediately denied the allegations.

Ponting's complaint referred to an incident after the 116th over of India's first innings when the off-spinner is alleged to have said something to Symonds.

However, Harbhajan told the Sydney Morning Herald: "I did not say anything racist. I do not know what is going on.

"I haven't done anything, we were just talking. It wasn't even sledging, it was just normal talk out on the cricket field. I was concentrating on my batting."

Match referee Mike Procter will investigate the matter in a meeting after the close of play on Saturday, the ICC added.

If found guilty, Harbhajan could face a ban of between two and four Test matches or up to eight one-day internationals.