PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics VS Flow

kayitosway954
08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Its about time someone brings this shit up. Lemme explain my case. Every time I hear someone bring up Lil Wayne(not just on here), they comment how he has tha sickest flow in tha game. Lil Wayne does have a great flow, but you know wha? I dont give a fuck, I like lyrics, I love metaphors and similes, and I like sick punches, and he hasnt been delivering much of those lately. Nas' flow is pretty plain, but he always spittin dope shit. I feel today tha only rappers who get noticed are those with good flows. Wha ya opinion?

WestBelfastIreland
08-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Aslong As Ya Goin To Respect Other Ppl Opinion, Yours Is Fair Enought.

Maybe Some Ppl Sick Of Hip-hop Being Used As A Vocal Point For Anti-government/racism.

They Wanna Kick-back And Chill....

Nickolai
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
As Long As The Flow Aint Boring As Fuck Or Horrible I Aint Fussed

I Want Dope Lyrics But If The Flow Is Good Aswell, Its A Bonus

Young Jeezy Is All Flow And Gets Noticed

But Agree Wit Lando Bout Similies, Metaz, Wordplay And Punchlines

Cuz Aint No Flow At The End Of The Day Thats Really Gon Make Me Go ''Damn!''

thaincfan
08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Don't really care about punchlines cause that should just be mainly used in battle or diss tracks (my opinion anyways) but we dont see that in the diss tracks so blah. It depends on my mood with the aspects cause sometimes I might want to relax back and just listen to the beat and flow. Then the other I'll want metephors and similies just depends really.

a3killa
08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
lil wayne is hot and all that but lately i do be listening to what he says and it doesnt make any sense. its like he gets high or does some shit before he goes in the booth because i dont see his songs lyrics connecting with his songs that he ft.s in atleast

The Illustrious One
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
listen man..

you need to have a nice flow, so people don't get bored with what your saying, and just walk away...

if you grab their attention, they might be like damnnnn he's good.

if your saying something hot, but your flow is boring they are not going to listen to you.

so you need to at least balance your flow with your subject matter, if anything.

and i don't think Nas flow is plain, his flow is actually good.

and Rule has a great great flow, and his energy on some of the tracks is just amazing, so that's why i find his music good.

Weezy's flow is great. Jay has a crazy flow, Biggie, DMX... Ludacris, TIP.

and you know all them new rappers from the south, who need to retire before dropping their debut albums, because they are a shame to hip hop.

Montana
08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I Love Both IN Different Ways...

LLOYDZBABY_01
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
OK EVER WHERE I GO SUM ONE ID DISSIN LIL WAYNE I SAY IF U CAN SPIT LIKE WAYNE DATZ ALL U NEED HE GOT FLOW AND LYRICz SO LET LIL WAYNE DO HIS SHIT AND LEAVE HIM ALONE CUz WEATHER U LIKE IT OR NOT HE GONE BE DA SHITz

kayitosway954
08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Lil Wayne is gonna be J Kwan in less than 2 years.... Not in existence.

And you can make a good song and still be good with lyrics.

Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty By Nature
O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature
The Otherside by Bubba Sparx ft Petey Pablo
Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang
Shake Ya Ass by Mystikal
Ochie Walley by Nas & Tha Bravehearts
Tha Bridge by MC Shan
Kill That Noise by MC Shan
Sound Of Tha Police by KRS-One
South Bronx by KRS-One
Livin It Up by Ja Rule
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air by DJ Jazzy Jeff & Tha Fresh Prince
Brand New Funk by DJ Jazzy Jeff & Tha Fresh Prince
Slam by Onyx
Slam Harder by Onyx
React by Onyx ft 50 Cent
New York by Ja Rule ft Jadakiss & Fat Joe
X Gonna Give It To You by DMX
Ruff Ryders Anthem by DMX
Dirt Off Ya Shoulder by Jay-Z
Kich Push by Lupe Fiasco
Diamonds by Kanye West
Push It To Tha Limit by Rick Ross (Ricky got some lyrical game in him, I dont give a fuck wha people gots 2 say)

Shit, even diss records can be dancable/chill shit.

And whats wrong with anti-government/anti-racism.

Tha American, plus many other countries, governments are crooked. And check this, racist white folks like to talk hows black folks are uneducated, well, it doesnt fuckin help for them 2 go make shit with a 3rd grade vocab. It aint good for no one, whatever color skin you maybe or wha ya background is.

Hip Hop by Dead Prez is somethin you could bump 2 also.

thaincfan
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Its still hiphop its still hiphop

Diss tracks can be danceable/chill shit but nobody would wanna bump to a diss track, theyll rather hear something like its ya body body lol

FranchizeTheKid
08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
OK EVER WHERE I GO SUM ONE ID DISSIN LIL WAYNE I SAY IF U CAN SPIT LIKE WAYNE DATZ ALL U NEED HE GOT FLOW AND LYRICz SO LET LIL WAYNE DO HIS SHIT AND LEAVE HIM ALONE CUz WEATHER U LIKE IT OR NOT HE GONE BE DA SHITz

Oh Shut Up Bitch, He's Only Hot Right Now Cuz He's A Fucking Whore, Every Single's Remix He's On Them, And His Lyrics Are Usually Wack, Lemme Give You An Example How Weezy Can Fuck Up A Good Verse

"I Get Head In The Strangest Places/
2 At The Same Time Call It Changin' Faces/
-----------------------------------
Now Stand Back And Catch My Amazing Graces/" Okay That Was Hot

Then He Goes And Ruins It With Some Bullshit Line "I'm Hot Like Light"

His Punches Are Too Simple, People Swear They're The Best Ever Too! Like Cass, NaS, Or Joe Budden Couldn't Murk Him With A 16

MAW
08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
^ i even heard ppl sayin Weezy is better than Common haha...fuck these stans...he aint the best rapper alive

kayitosway954
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Id fuck 2 "I Smell Pussy"

Eyebagz
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
flow is most important cause without it why bother listening. But lyrics and flow together are the perfect mix. people that can switch up there flow are most talented. and i cant listen to someone with no lyrics but also no flow annoys me as well if you got dope lyrics but cant flow write poetry or something

kayitosway954
08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I aint sayin not 2 have flow, but I feel that people only listen 2 dudes 4 flow nowadays. A rapper needs 2 at least have some sorta flow, I could careless if they switch it up every now and then, or even at all. If someone came out with tha flow of Jim Jones and tha lyrics of Talib Kweli, then they need 2 be on Def Poetry every single day or some shit, unless they get help on flowin. If someone flows like Jim Jones and has tha lyrics of Jim Jones, then that mothafucka shouldnt even be a poet, rapper, or emcee. ODB didnt have a great flow, hell, if he even had a little, but Ill still bump his shit.

Eyebagz
08-23-2007, 06:48 PM
yer but odb had amazing charisma thats another thing rappers dont have. no rappers nowadays have anything special about them thats why to me talibs wack. Rap is so boring people like sage francis sapient ill bill etc the ones that can switch up there flows and have dope flows but also have them awe inspiring lyrics are the dope ones to me

Flash
08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
lil wayne has one of the most annoying voices in hip hop!ill never gonna like him never...he is rappin like he sucked a dick before startin!

kayitosway954
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
As far as Im concerned, it dont matter how you sound, this is Hip Hop, not pop or some shit. Besides tha fact Lil Wayne does sound like Mickey Mouse, I wouldnt have a problem with him if he stopped droppin 5 songs ago, and only one of them being good every 14 days. Some people would probably say "well I bet you couldnt mixtape after mixtape out" and your right. Besides tha fact I aint a mixtape rapper(and tha fact I like original production), Lil Wayne does work hard 2 put out mixtapes, same for Dipset, but I go by tha sayin "if it aint dope, dont say it"

relentless
08-23-2007, 09:56 PM
when i listen to something, i first listen to how it sounds. first and foremost, this is music, if you primarily wanna hear someone talk about real issues and shit like that go listen to a public speaker. after ive listened to it, if its good on the ears i'll listen to what they are saying. majority of people are like this. im not gonna listen to somoene with all these punches and sick wordplay if their shit sounds like nails on a chalkboard musically. in lil waynes case, his flow is very good, his whole delivery is. his lyrics are either real good or bad imo, but since he has the musical aspect down, people will listen to him, cos its music first, then message in most cases.

Gangstafied
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Flow is important in rap, but c'mon u could have the best flow in the world but if u don't say nothing relevant or do anything creative u ain't a real ''artist'' ur just some product without substance ur a ''britney spears''.............

But in the other hand if u got amazing writting skills but u can't really flow to the beat, u need to call it a wrap, quit rap and write a book cause if u can't catch people's attention u just sound boorrrinnng...

So i say they both important 50-50

relentless
08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
it is definitely a a combination of the two. the reason i say flow probably has the edge though, is cos it attracts the listener. people that just wanna chill or dance, will listen to things like flow, hook, beat etc. the hip hop purist will look for it too whether they want to admit it or not, you will find yourself listening to how a track sounds first, before u go deep into the lyrics.

WestBelfastIreland
08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Lil Wayne is gonna be J Kwan in less than 2 years.... Not in existence.

And you can make a good song and still be good with lyrics.

Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty By Nature
O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature
The Otherside by Bubba Sparx ft Petey Pablo
Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang
Shake Ya Ass by Mystikal
Ochie Walley by Nas & Tha Bravehearts
Tha Bridge by MC Shan
Kill That Noise by MC Shan
Sound Of Tha Police by KRS-One
South Bronx by KRS-One
Livin It Up by Ja Rule
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air by DJ Jazzy Jeff & Tha Fresh Prince
Brand New Funk by DJ Jazzy Jeff & Tha Fresh Prince
Slam by Onyx
Slam Harder by Onyx
React by Onyx ft 50 Cent
New York by Ja Rule ft Jadakiss & Fat Joe
X Gonna Give It To You by DMX
Ruff Ryders Anthem by DMX
Dirt Off Ya Shoulder by Jay-Z
Kich Push by Lupe Fiasco
Diamonds by Kanye West
Push It To Tha Limit by Rick Ross (Ricky got some lyrical game in him, I dont give a fuck wha people gots 2 say)

Shit, even diss records can be dancable/chill shit.

And whats wrong with anti-government/anti-racism.

Tha American, plus many other countries, governments are crooked. And check this, racist white folks like to talk hows black folks are uneducated, well, it doesnt fuckin help for them 2 go make shit with a 3rd grade vocab. It aint good for no one, whatever color skin you maybe or wha ya background is.

Hip Hop by Dead Prez is somethin you could bump 2 also.

no-one aint saying there is something wrong with anti-goverment/racism. Your goverment is the worst and biggest killers in the world and the racism level is shocking.

thats what ur dead prez, common, nas etc will let yall know about and have some of the hottest tracks/lyrics/albums in hip-hop.

aint nothing wrong with a rapper who rhymes. . . .!? . . . . if it sounds good, ill blast it.

(he goota be doing something right, to be where he is today)

wudeva123
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
it is definitely a a combination of the two. the reason i say flow probably has the edge though, is cos it attracts the listener. people that just wanna chill or dance, will listen to things like flow, hook, beat etc. the hip hop purist will look for it too whether they want to admit it or not, you will find yourself listening to how a track sounds first, before u go deep into the lyrics.

exactly you have to listen to the b eat first but for me as soon as i listen to it the first time i then listen to the lyrics and if theyre crap i now hate tha song. So Lyrics > Flow. This is exactly wut hapened to me wit uh oh i listened to it tha first time n thot o shit dis is bringing ja back wen i listened to the beat. DEn i listened to it again no matta how good jas flow was tha lyrics wurr shit n tha beat actually wasnt dat gr8 afterall

kayitosway954
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM
(he goota be doing something right, to be where he is today)

Tha music industry is at its worst right now, signing people who have no talent or who are just selling out completely.