PDA

View Full Version : What do you value most in hip hop music?

relentless
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
there are a lot of people with different tastes on this board, so i want to know what you personally value in an artist, what do u look for mainly? is it conscious subject matter, is it flow, is it wordplay/metaphors, is it pure creativity, just a dope beat and hook? etc

personally, i cant really tell you what i look for, all i know is when i hear it i know it. different combinations of things can work really well in ways you woudnt expect. but i think above all i go with artists that try to be creative.

Marcus13
08-17-2007, 11:18 PM
its amazing how hard it is to pick one of these...damn. I mean I want to say the storytelling ability and real subject matter but damn, if a nigga does that over a wack beat with a terrible hook would I listen?

kayitosway954
08-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Great example of wack beats & terrible hook = Uh Oh

anyways: vocab, wordplay, beat, rhyme pattern, and subject matter

wudeva123
08-20-2007, 01:48 AM
LYRICS
- creativity
- choice of subject
- wordplay

are the most important nn finding a good mc i believe. Anybody can find a nice beat anybody can have an aight flow but u have to be talented to be able to use words in different and meaningful ways

k_kiss
08-20-2007, 02:31 AM
i really cant pick out anything..kuz i do love a wide range and variety of music...and i like all types of hiphop music..including..the hard shit..the concious shit..the love shit..the club shit..etc.etc.etc. So for me..its more or less how the song is delivered. When i hear the track..if it moves me..then in my mind..the artist has done his/her job..

that being said...its offcial..Lupe Fiasco is now my favourite artist...he has the ability to paint a picture, using his words..and does it more than effectively...and not alot of artist can do that...or even come close....

relentless
08-20-2007, 04:16 AM
^gotta co-sign that. its how its pulled off more than anything. and lupe is my 2nd fav after ja right now, dude is the truth.

Flash
08-20-2007, 04:36 AM
i really cant pick out anything..kuz i do love a wide range and variety of music...and i like all types of hiphop music..including..the hard shit..the concious shit..the love shit..the club shit..etc.etc.etc. So for me..its more or less how the song is delivered. When i hear the track..if it moves me..then in my mind..the artist has done his/her job..

that being said...its offcial..Lupe Fiasco is now my favourite artist...he has the ability to paint a picture, using his words..and does it more than effectively...and not alot of artist can do that...or even come close....

from the mainstream yes.........

MAW
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
for me it's flow, Hooks, the beat, wordplay/Metaphor...

Nickolai
08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
- The Energy
- The Lyrical Ability
- The Relation Of The Songs

Artemis
08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Consistency...nice beats,good lyrics,something I won't get tired of listening to even if it's jammed on the radio all day....and "Uh Ohh" is HOT stop trippin :P

MAW
08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Consistency...nice beats,good lyrics,something I won't get tired of listening to even if it's jammed on the radio all day....and "Uh Ohh" is HOT stop trippin :P

Uh Ohh aint lyrically good........and No! i dont hate on uh ohh i love the track

Westside
08-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Mostly rappers who speak from there hart.
Rappers who got "pain" in there voice thats how i say it like for example Ja's Where im from got it and many more.

I digg lyrical rappers to who are really hard on the mic like Canibus or Crooked I.

Eyebagz
08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
lyrics flow an beat

whoever says its easy to have a good flow your wrong so many people have crap boring flows to have an original and dope rhythmic flow is essential to me but if you have that and shit lyrics then you aint worth shit either

wudeva123
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
lyrics flow an beat

whoever says its easy to have a good flow your wrong so many people have crap boring flows to have an original and dope rhythmic flow is essential to me but if you have that and shit lyrics then you aint worth shit either

ya welll my fav MC is Pharoahe Monch n his flow is well nuttin special but it aint bad aslong as a MCS flow isnt terriblw i really dont care about flow. Most rappers who focus on flow then have crap lyrics

kayitosway954
08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I really could careless about flow, as long as it aint Jim Jones horrible, and somewhere around ODB, feel me?

Marcus13
08-20-2007, 03:52 PM
lol at jim jones terrible

POC Was Here
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Lyrics, Decent Production And A Nice Rhyme Pattern........ Or At Least As Lando Said Not Jim Jones Terrible Lol.

As Well As That, I Really Love A Rapper Who Displays Emotion........ Ya Know When They're Rapping, They Actually Mean What They're Saying?

And Creativity....... Ya Know On Some Shit That Has You Like "Oh Damn"

Hence The Reason When Lupe Came Out, I Was Like "Dude Is God" Lol.

LOC
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
For me its the total package...sum1 with a good flow and dilevery...lyrics and wordplay...and can make u think and dance at the same time.

relentless
08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
oh yeah, i gotta say versatility. for me, theres nothing worse than listening to someone who cant switch it up from time to time

POC Was Here
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
oh yeah, i gotta say versatility. for me, theres nothing worse than listening to someone who cant switch it up from time to time

Joe Budden = The King Of Versatility Lol

k_kiss
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
wordddddddddddddddddddddddd

cant forget about budden..