PDA

View Full Version : Albums From 8Ball & MJG, Rich Boy, Lloyd & Musiq Soulchild

Gangstafied
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
New albums from 8Ball & MJG, Rich Boy, Lloyd, Musiq Soulchild and Amy Winehouse are some of the hottest picks hitting record store shelves today (March 13).

After a three year absence, Memphis rap duo 8Ball & MJG are back to claim their throne with their ninth group album Riding High. The album, which is their second effort on Bad Boy Records, features appearances from Young Joc, Project Pat, Killer Mike, Pimp C, The Notorious B.I.G., Juvenile and Diddy. Recently SOHH chopped it up with 8Ball about how he felt about releasing his album on the same day that so many other CDs hit the shelves. He replied simply, stating, "its cool, we legends baby!"

[Editors note: throughout March, fans of the group can catch the Southern rap pioneers discuss their album amongst other things on SOHH via their personal video blog.]

Elsewhere, Alabama bred rapper Rich Boy, who is enjoying the success of his single "Throw Some D's," is on a mission to put his city on the map with his self titled debut. The 22-year-old's CD features appearances from David Banner, John Legend, Big Boi of OutKast and Pastor Troy, among others. The album is executive produced by Polow Da Don, who has produced hits for Ciara ("Promise"), Ludacris ("Runaway Love" and Fergie ("LondonBridge," "Glamorous").

"Rich Boy is the beginning to a new sound. I think that when this record is successful, it's gonna change the culture a little bit of how the South approaches what a dope album is, versus just a hot song," Polow told SOHH exclusively. "Right now Rich Boy has a hot song, but we're trying to expand from that and just make him the man. Going back to having a production, going back to having a show, going back to having entertainment."

Don't call it a comeback; just call it a delayed re-introduction for Musiq Soulchild. Its been four years since the Philly bred crooner dropped an album, but this time around the Neo-soul spawn has a new label home with Atlantic Records. His fourth solo album, Luvanmusiq, features production from Raphael Saadiq, The Underdogs and Warryn Campbell, among others.

"The reason I titled it Luvanmusiq is because I worked on 70 to 80 records and it was a real challenge to find a theme in the midst of all those records. So I figured how about I just find the most common thread between all of these songs," Musiq told SOHH in a recent interview. "I found that most of the songs I have are about love and relationships, that's just a popular subject matter in my line of work...and I just put the two together -- 'Love and Music.'"

Another crooner making a return is Murder Inc. standout Lloyd with his sophomore album Street Love. The album features appearances from Nas, Andre 3000 of Outkast and Lil' Wayne. Producers on the disc include Jazze Pha, Dallas Austin and Brian Cox.

"People always ask me what separates me from the rest of the crowd, you know the Chris Browns, the Omarions, the NeYos, the Bobby Vs of the world, and I'm friends with all those guys, I love those guys but the one thing I think that I can really do is, I bridge the gap between hip-hop and R&B," Lloyd explained to SOHH. "That's what you're going to get on Street Love. We all are stars in our own right, but I be on that street stuff sometimes".

Lastly is UK vocalist Amy Winehouse with her sophomore album Back To Black. The singer - who caught the attention of many hip-hop heads on Ghostface Killah's version of her song "You Know I'm No Good" - is planning to gain much deserved exposure in the U.S. Her album features production from Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson.

Other new albums in stores today include the official release of Ghostface's Hidden Darts (originally released by Ghost's DJ, J. Love, as mixtape), Gillie Da Kid's Best Of GDK Mixtapes and Detroit rapper/producer Black Milk's Popular Demand.

source-sohh

kayitosway954
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Gotta cop that new 8Ball and MJG, definitly Gillie, and Ima buy Lloyd's album first just 2 support tha INC. Didnt even know Ghostface was droppin anything, Ill have to check it out.... And Ima look into Musiq's album... Never heard from Black Milk, Ill check him out, and I aint even gotta listin 2 Rich Boy's album, cuz I know its trash.... Keep throwin them Ds, Richie, cuz you aint gettin my dollar.

Nickolai
03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I Got Soulchilds Album
Not Really My Taste TBH

lokivvv2
03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
good week for releases. lloyd hopefully will get that number one spot though.