PDA

View Full Version : The Game talks about Movie & 50 Cent

Baja_Ma_Dee
06-17-2006, 12:51 PM
“I remember when we first got ‘Boyz n the Hood’ in the hood, with the masking tape on the box with the Sharpie-written ‘Boyz n the Hood’ on it, and we put it in [the VCR] and I seen Ice Cube do his thing,” says rapper The Game, reminiscing on his first experience with the hood movie genre...

“And ever since then,” he continues, “[I’ve seen] the “Menace to Societies,” the “New Jack Cities” and all those good hood flicks. It was dope to be presented with the opportunity to co-star in my own.”

Some teenaged fan, perhaps in his hometown of Compton, CA, may come across a bootleg of “Waist Deep,” pop it in the DVD player and have a similar experience of watching The Game do his thing for the first time on a big screen. Just like Cube’s Dough Boy, The Game’s character, Meat, lives by the code of the street, and is by no means a stretch from the actor’s real persona.

“Me playing a gangster role, being a gangster rapper from a gangster town was just too cliché,” Game said while in Los Angeles last weekend promoting the film. To shake his own image from the character, the rapper wore a prosthetic eye and tried his best to make Meat stand on his own.

“People see me in my raw form everyday, and playing a character walking into the movie like that with all my same tattoos, I didn’t want anybody to be like, ‘That’s the Game.’ Sorta like Will Smith as Muhammad Ali. I was like, ‘Yo, that’s Will.’ And then the difference would be Jamie Foxx in ‘Ray’ because Jamie Foxx to me was Ray. I wanted to fall all the way into character and I think that with making the minor adjustments that I did, it turned out to be successful.”

In the film, Meat is the leader of the Outlaw Syndicate, a street gang that has kidnapped the young son of O2, played by Tyrese. O2 was trying desperately to leave the gangsta life behind and avoid his third strike, or a third felony conviction that automatically carries a life sentence. O2’s cousin Lucky (Larenz Tate), meanwhile, can’t decide whether his loyalty lies with the gang or his family. So in order to get his son back, O2 gets assistance from a hustler named Coco (Meagan Good). Soon, the two find themselves in a Bonnie & Clyde tear through South L.A., pitting rival elements against each other in a dangerous attempt to outsmart Meat.

“I got a whole new respect for the Denzels, the Tom Cruises and Angelina Jolies,” laughs Game, adding that he’s in no hurry to star in another film. “It’s some crazy sh*t – the 4 a.m. wakeup calls, and you gotta be on set, then it’s the hurry up and wait. You get there at 4 a.m. then you don’t shoot until 12 noon. It’s crazy, but it’s a situation that I appreciate. Vonde [Curtis Hall] was a great director, Larenz and Tyrese were in my trailer every morning when I got there going over lines with me, so it was a dope experience, but it was just hard as a mother f**ker, excuse my French.

For now, the Game will stick to his day job, which has been kind to him ever since jumping from Cali’s crowded underground scene to worldwide notoriety with the release of his debut Interscope/Aftermath/G-Unit album “The Documentary” in January 2005.

At the time, Game was a member of 50 Cent’s G-Unit crew with rappers Lloyd Banks and Young Buck, but as the world knows, things have since changed. Following a long and nasty feud with 50 Cent, Game has finally severed business ties with the G-Unit label and now has his own Black Wall Street record label directly under parent company Interscope, which will release his new album “The Doctor’s Advocate” this summer.

“For the last 8 to 9 months I’ve been fighting for my independence on Interscope and I finally got it,” Game says. “So there’s no more 50 and we’re not in each other’s way. I don’t wish any harm on him or have anything bad to say about him at this point because I pretty much exhausted the possibility of doing that whole back and forth thing with him.”

Game says his issues with 50 began with the release of “The Documentary,” when his name started to bubble throughout the industry and multiple opportunities came knocking.

“At the end of the day, I just gotta be respected as a business man,” Game says. “Where me and 50 bumped heads was that he didn’t want anybody else to co-exist when he was on top. He wanted to be on top alone. He didn’t wanna give me the same opportunities that Eminem and Dre had given him.”

“All my life, I’ve been a leader and not a follower,” he continues. “I’ve had people behind me following me, doing whatever I do. I wasn’t Lloyd Banks, Young Buck, I wasn’t a G-Unit soldier, so I left the group and started my own label. I already had my own label, but it’s blown now, and we full-fledged, and we working and we’re gearing up for this album.”

Free of his longtime nemesis, The Game is now completely relaxed and happy in his new crib nestled in the Kenneth Village neighborhood of Glendale, Calif., about 30 minutes up the 5 freeway from his place of birth.

“I could’ve moved anywhere, but Glendale, as I learned, is heavily Armenian-owned, and I don’t know, it’s just nice,” he explains to EUR’s Lee Bailey. “It’s so close but yet so far, man. It’s a lot better than Compton, but not better than Compton, if you know what I
mean.”

The Game, born Jayceon Terell Taylor, was driving through the city just south of Glendale last May 20th when police pulled him over for not having a proper license plate. In Burbank, he was arrested and charged with possession of a dangerous weapon after a search turned up the presence of brass knuckles.

“That situation was pretty much my fault,” Game smiles. “I had a photo shoot earlier that day where I featured some brass knuckles in a magazine, gearing up for my new album. Just playing around with one of my cousins, I took the brass knuckles away from the photo shoot. And when I got pulled over going to the studio because I had dealer plates on my Bentley, they shined the lights. I was talking so much sh*t because I didn’t have any weapons, I had a legit license and insurance. So I was doing my black man talk-the-sh*t-to-the-white-cop [thing].”

When asked if he thought racial profiling had anything to do with his traffic stop, he said: “I tried to play the racial card, but it didn’t really work. They pulled me out [of the car]. So in the midst of me talking all this crazy stuff, they reached in my pocket and pulled out the brass knuckles. After I was an asshole, it was like [they thought] ‘I might as well take him in.’ So that situation was more my fault and I learned a lesson to just sit in the car, shut up, be black and rich.”

Enemy
06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
props........game is ablum should be a classic

ImFromNY
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
i love the game...... i know that for a fact that a game and ja record would be hot!

Shayd208
06-18-2006, 02:36 PM
^^OMFG!!! THAT WOULD BE FUCKIN CRAZY!!!

man i cant wait to see this movie N get his fuckin album!!
they're gon be crazy!! well the album should be i dunno whu to
expect on his acting tho:D