View Full Version : Irv Gotti Nears Deal with Universal Music Group

k_kiss
04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
wtf..
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/07/business/07music.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Rap Producer Said to Be Near New Arrangement With Universal
Sign In to E-Mail This Print Reprints Save By JEFF LEEDS
Published: April 7, 2006
Irving Lorenzo, the rap music impresario who lost much of his domain as he battled federal money-laundering charges, is on the verge of reviving his music label with private financial backing and re-establishing his alliance with Universal Music Group, according to executives briefed on his plans.

Skip to next paragraph

Louis Lanzano/Associated Press
Irving Lorenzo has produced artists like Ashanti and Ja Rule.
Mr. Lorenzo, who is widely known as Irv Gotti, was indicted in January 2005 on charges he laundered money for a convicted drug kingpin, Kenneth McGriff, a friend from Mr. Lorenzo's neighborhood. Mr. Lorenzo was acquitted of the charges by a federal jury in December.

After months of searching for an avenue back into the music business, Mr. Lorenzo is finalizing a deal to secure financing from Larry Goldfarb, the managing partner of the San Francisco-based hedge fund BayStar Capital, said these executives, who declined to be identified because the deals are still being negotiated.

As part of the arrangement, which may be completed in the next two weeks, Mr. Goldfarb's newly formed LRG Records is expected to commit up to $30 million to operate the label in its first three to five years, these executives said. Mr. Goldfarb has quietly examined a string of investments in the music field for the last year, they said.

While those talks are under way, Mr. Lorenzo has held separate discussions that could put him back in business with Universal, the music giant that had previously been his partner in a jointly owned label, Murder Inc. Universal severed ties with Mr. Lorenzo last year, after his indictment. Representatives for Universal, Mr. Lorenzo and Mr. Goldfarb declined to comment.

The two deals together would mark a remarkable turnaround for Mr. Lorenzo, who at his creative peak was considered the most successful entrepreneur in the rap music business. Mr. Lorenzo, who began his career spinning records in a public park, became a producer and talent scout who is credited with spotting acts like Jay-Z, DMX and Ja Rule, who collectively generated hundreds of millions of dollars in sales for Universal. But his star began falling rapidly when federal investigators raided the offices of Murder Inc. in early 2003.

In December, after his acquittal, Mr. Lorenzo publicly accused Universal's top executives of ousting his label from its offices and unfairly shunning him before he had his day in court. In the weeks after his acquittal, there was speculation that Mr. Lorenzo would re-emerge in a partnership with Warner Music Group, where some of his former colleagues from Universal's Island Def Jam unit are now in top management positions.

But more recently, Mr. Lorenzo has reached a rapprochement with Universal, according to executives close to him. Mr. Lorenzo has struck up talks about a potential distribution pact in which Universal would promote and release recordings from his revived label, now known as the Inc. As part of the arrangement, Mr. Lorenzo would probably gain ownership of the master recordings he previously released through the company, including hits by his two biggest stars, Ja Rule and Ashanti, these executives said

k_kiss
04-07-2006, 07:49 AM
i guess warner wasnt caught up the major bucks gotti asked for...but since they were fam..he took a while 2 negotiate, still seems weird..kuz jas in that new movie with paul wall,and that movie is from the Atlantic/Mele movie deal.

relentless
04-07-2006, 08:29 AM
whaaaaaaaaaaaa.....................:huh: :unsure: wtf is up with that...im not sure about this, jimmy iovine is not gonna support him, what happened to everyhting we stood for? what happened to getting rid of the machine that was controling the game??? goddamit shit isnt making sense........from lloyd mayb moving labels, to dissing universal and not caring about exodus and collectables cos of the labels lack of support.and now this.....whats going on? the only explanation i can think of is gotti is taking a higher role than iovine, that would be the only logical explanation.

Rolfsma
04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah, and Gotti claimed in all the interviews after the trial that Universal let him down and shit, but now he's coming back to them... Well, if that means we can expect new releases soon, it's all good I guess

relentless
04-07-2006, 08:33 AM
^how is it all good?? the releases wont be pushed, cos interscope will intervene.

Mike
04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
come on, gotti aint stupid, he won't sign a deal if he knows he'll be right back where he was in 2004. If he is about to re-sign to universal then universal must be offering him something better than last time were there is sabotage etc.

In gotti we trust

relentless
04-07-2006, 08:45 AM
true...its just once a shady person, always a shady person, i dont like the people involved at UMG, and nothings stopping them from abrogating their promises to gotti like they did last time. even if the deal is better, the people are still the ones that fucked us over, how u gonna come back to that?

relentless
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
ohoo shit, i just realised something, empire is Jas label, murder inc is gottis. empire could be on atlantic, which explains why ja is in the furnace, and inc could be on universal (and kiss u know about the other deal). we could be coming from all angles....shit i didnt think of this.

Dermo
04-07-2006, 08:53 AM
im not liking this honestly yea gotti will be making money over gaining the masters to jas and ashanti old material but universal are bitches and im not happy wit this they really must of sucked up to him big time and there has to be some sort of agreement that his artists will get released when he wants them released and not have to get universal to approve them

Mike
04-07-2006, 08:56 AM
ohoo shit, i just realised something, empire is Jas label, murder inc is gottis. empire could be on atlantic, which explains why ja is in the furnace, and inc could be on universal (and kiss u know about the other deal). we could be coming from all angles....shit i didnt think of this.

If that was case, if either distributing compnay tried to screw one other, the artists could go over to the other, i.e. if The inc was back on UMG and they screwed them again, ja could sign the INC to empire, and likewise

That would be amazing, would love to see that happen

Vinnie
04-07-2006, 09:01 AM
come on, gotti aint stupid, he won't sign a deal if he knows he'll be right back where he was in 2004. If he is about to re-sign to universal then universal must be offering him something better than last time were there is sabotage etc.

In gotti we trust

Well maybe they offer him(gotti) money.. And maybe we dont have any promotion at all?? Omg whats going to happen..

relentless
04-07-2006, 09:09 AM
this could also be the reason why the LOX are trying to renegociate with universal, mayb gottis is trying to sign them. i have a feeling methodman doing some shit with us too..

Mike
04-07-2006, 09:37 AM
and with nas at universal too.....

Blackdove
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
this is all just speculation right? i hope things won't turn ugly again man..atlantic sounds pretty good for me but well...

Jdogg
04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
ye aslong as they release soon not arsed where they go

Baja_Ma_Dee
04-07-2006, 10:50 AM
You see all of Gotti's hard work is paying off

Universal finally sees that without Gotti

Universal wouldn't hav Philly's Finest Tracey Lee, Brooklyn's Latest & greatest Maino & Jay-Z, DMX & Ja as well

Plus many others that Preme & Gotti brought to the table

mapimpental
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
i think irv is better at atlantic but if warner wants to get him, ther prolly ofering better stuff, so im good i guess lol

Mike
04-07-2006, 11:33 AM
look i trust gotti, he'll make the right move :)

mfb
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Gotti knows what he is doing so lets just relax and wait bcoz time will be the judge ...

Eimz_T
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
well we all knew gotti had [I]something[I] up his sleeve! this must be some deal for him to go back there, gottis not stupid he won't fall into the same trap twice!

ImFromNY
04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
im just suprised, really suprised wasnt that the same music group that kicked 'em out??? whats that "universal is the system thats similar to institutionalism"??? so why would they do a deal again with them... i think WMG would've been the best move, their whole shit with T.I. is nice well promotion everything is working out perfect, without def jam they delay everybodys albums like 2or3 times..

da_inc_05
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
shit universal worked for gotti in the beginning wen it all started, and it could work for him again, it said he's gettin promoted to a higher rankin, so der ya have it, inc shall b back in business soon

zemben
04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I think IG spoke out of anger and owning your masters??? C'mon, its the best deal he could get...

What u think made LL Cool J stay over at Def Jam?? He wanted to quit but Russell gave him the rights to his publishements and his masters

Blackdove
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
well we all knew gotti had [I]something[I] up his sleeve! this must be some deal for him to go back there, gottis not stupid he won't fall into the same trap twice!

Yea, I would like to think so but sometimes u just don't knw whats going on in Irv's mind..i hope he doesn't fuck it up again.

Koala
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
I guess this is good news. I just hope everything works out and everybody on the inc gets to release they shit.

sniper
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I think IG spoke out of anger and owning your masters??? C'mon, its the best deal he could get...

What u think made LL Cool J stay over at Def Jam?? He wanted to quit but Russell gave him the rights to his publishements and his masters
the dont have their masters, not sure about their publishing tho,

and eimz totally agree.

k_kiss
04-07-2006, 04:25 PM
put it this way..gotti is gona be gettin paid huge shits of money...and probably releasin whoever..wenever he wants..and i think its gonna be one big lable..like the inc empire..wich has all its subsidary;s under it all being distributed with universal.....im likin this idea better than the hole atlantic shit...gotti knows wat hes doin

VegasOner
04-07-2006, 04:48 PM
im lost...

Baja_Ma_Dee
04-07-2006, 05:02 PM
If Gotti walked away from Universal then the artist he recently hooked them up with Maino wouldn't be able to work with his homies.

But still Maino made a bitch move working with 50.

I understand he's not from Queens & was locked up & their for doesn't know about 50's bitch moves doesn't give him the right to talk against Lil' Cease (who was forced to testify or do 25 years for the same bitch who turned her back on him & left him in prision all cause he beat Capone & Nore up) but work with 50?

If he's ever been to Queens then he'd know that everyone hates 50, everyone in Queens. Not one persion respects him in Queens.

His fan base doesn't exisist in Queens.

I got love for Maino but he won't even turn in his Biggie Pass That track for my Biggie project.

R.U.L.E.
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
If Gotti walked away from Universal then the artist he recently hooked them up with Maino wouldn't be able to work with his homies.

But still Maino made a bitch move working with 50.

I understand he's not from Queens & was locked up & their for doesn't know about 50's bitch moves doesn't give him the right to talk against Lil' Cease (who was forced to testify or do 25 years for the same bitch who turned her back on him & left him in prision all cause he beat Capone & Nore up) but work with 50?

If he's ever been to Queens then he'd know that everyone hates 50, everyone in Queens. Not one persion respects him in Queens.

His fan base doesn't exisist in Queens.

I got love for Maino but he won't even turn in his Biggie Pass That track for my Biggie project.

since wen has Maino worked wit 50? i actually think i kno wut track u talkin bout and if it is, a DJ put their verses on the same track; old verses at that. gimme the name of the track and ill letchu kno.

first and foremoest, im mad as hell only because

1. DJ Capone is a friggin liar.
2. No matter how "well" this deal could be, both Ja Rule and Irv Gotti are hypocrites. that whole "seven years in prison" an shit. and Irv o.d.in in the Source.

but wuteva.

DJ Capone is comin bac tonite so ima see wtf is up wit dis shit. all he did on New Years Day was talk bout him being Ja Rule DJ and Ja releasing a crazy album on Warner Bros Music Group.

ImFromNY
04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
YEAH R.U.L.E. thanks a lot thats exactly my point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baja_Ma_Dee
04-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh so 50 & Maino didn't do a song together?

Some DJ just mixed it together?

that makes scene. he has dissed him before. Saying How These dudes gon compair me to 50, I done shot niggaz up, & you compair that to 50?

It makes scene now. I still wish he'd send me that Pass That track with Biggie.

k_kiss
04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
maino and fif didnt actually work together...maino did a song..and a dj threw a 50 verse on it i think

relentless
04-07-2006, 07:51 PM
since wen has Maino worked wit 50? i actually think i kno wut track u talkin bout and if it is, a DJ put their verses on the same track; old verses at that. gimme the name of the track and ill letchu kno.

first and foremoest, im mad as hell only because

1. DJ Capone is a friggin liar.
2. No matter how "well" this deal could be, both Ja Rule and Irv Gotti are hypocrites. that whole "seven years in prison" an shit. and Irv o.d.in in the Source.

but wuteva.

DJ Capone is comin bac tonite so ima see wtf is up wit dis shit. all he did on New Years Day was talk bout him being Ja Rule DJ and Ja releasing a crazy album on Warner Bros Music Group.

he still could be doing an album on warner. remember it was ja that said universal was like prison, and nobody said anything of ja moving to UMG, just Gotti. oh and what are master? like whats the advantage of owning ur masters?

k_kiss
04-07-2006, 07:55 PM
ya owning everythin u release,^^^^...but if gotti is goin to universal..so is ja..so is ashanti..so is everyone..i honestly dont think they'll get multiple distrubutions although it would be could....i think they planned to do it..but changed there mind since universal gave them a fat cheque

zemben
04-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I dont think Gotti owns all of The Inc's masters cuz usually when a major label signs you, u usually gotta give up your publishings

The publishings are what makes retired succesful artist rich... Like Mc Hammer with 'Cant Touch THis", he samples Rick James' SUPER FREAK, and they share 50% of the revenue of Cant Touch THis, thats the advantage of publishing

rodger p
04-08-2006, 06:36 AM
great news the quicker we sign da better
Don gotti knows wat he doing
murda inc 4 life
o6 gonna b our year

Dermo
04-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I dont think Gotti owns all of The Inc's masters cuz usually when a major label signs you, u usually gotta give up your publishings

The publishings are what makes retired succesful artist rich... Like Mc Hammer with 'Cant Touch THis", he samples Rick James' SUPER FREAK, and they share 50% of the revenue of Cant Touch THis, thats the advantage of publishing

yea thats what the article is saying that they most likely have offered him the masters to his artists material

zemben
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
^^ Thats a good offer...Just like Jay, he's been offered some of his masters to become Def Jam's prez

yommie
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, if gotti is back at universal, he'll be smarter this time as he'll be ready in case any fuck-up is hitting him again. he's been thru a lot and he'll be careful not to go thru shit no more so just trust him till we hear from him officially.

Nas and fabolous are now with universal, i hope am right, that's looking good as long as the inc gets promoted!

da_inc_05
04-08-2006, 11:00 AM
dis dont mean ja is goin back to universal, he might sign to atlantic and then he can sign as much album contracts wit gotti as he wants so it'll give ja all da freedom in da world, dat'll b a smart move kuhz then ja would b on top of everything and if atlantic wont release an album or single wen he wants them to then he can jus do it on an album at universal through the gotti hook up

sniper
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
publishing and masters are totally different things.

publishing is when ur song is put on a for example compilation cd, licensed by your label the artist will get paid off that if he has his or her publishing.

owning the masters is when u have the original recording/acapella/instrumental on the original reels, and u urself can license them to be put on compilation cds, or it gives u free rein to remix or re release etc.