PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Suit Against Lil' Flip, Sony To Begin Jan. 9

GUNS
01-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Copyright Suit Against Lil' Flip, Sony To Begin Jan. 9
Saturday - January 7, 2006

http://www.ballerstatus.net/images/newspics/lilflip2.jpg

Jury selection is set to begin in a copyright infringement suit filed against Lil' Flip, his former label Suckafree Records, Columbia Records and Sony Music BMG.

Music producer/songwriter Tommy Granville sued the rapper and aforementioned record labels in 2004, claiming he wasn't properly credited for songs from the rapper's first platinum album Undaground Legend. The songs in question include "Texas Boys, "Make Mama Proud," and "What I Been Through," all of which Granville claims he composed the melodies for.

According to Granville's attorney, Scott Hemingway, Sony Music has ignored three separate court orders to turn over evidence pursuant to the case, and further alleges the companies in question of forging documents and altering financial records related to the suit.

Magistrate Judge Stacy of the Southern District Court of Texas has fined Sony Music BMG and the other defendants $12,000 for violation of these orders.

"Sony is leading the charge in filing lawsuits against anyone it suspects is infringing its copyrights," said Hemingway, "but when the shoe is on the other foot, they have done everything they can to deny and delay justice for Mr. Granville."

After more than a year since originally filing the suit, Granville's case seems to be moving along, as jury selection is set to begin on Monday (January 9) in the Federal District Court in Houston. He is seeking $1.5 million in damages and an unspecified amount for alleged willful infringement of Granville's copyrights.

In a separate action filed in September of 2004, NamCo America sued the same set of defendants for copyright infringement over the rapper's hit song, "Game Over." In the suit, NamCo accused Flip of using sounds from the games "Pac-Man" and "Ms. Pac-Man" on the song and it's remix. The case was eventually settled for undisclosed amount.

Source : Baller Status (http://www.ballerstatus.net)

zemben
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
The Pacman thingy, i was wondering where it went and there I got my answer, thxn!