PDA

View Full Version : New SunN.Y Interview-Gives Props to Ja rule

k_kiss
08-02-2005, 12:19 AM
SunNY: New York Bred, Atlanta Fed
Monday - August 01, 2005
Bayer L. Mack

In the world of professional athletes, there is no greater title than boxing
champion. No other sport strips two individuals down to the waist with nothing, but their fists to decide the matter. There are no bats, balls, sticks, rackets or wheels -- just skills. Once you’re a champion, the title sticks. You’re always known as “the champ.”

22-year-old Daniel Smith, better known to millions as SunN.Y. (“sunny”), understands what that feels like. Much like boxing, the art of freestyle battle rap is a toe-to-toe affair that isn’t for the lighthearted due to the intense focus on skill over marketing. SunN.Y. mastered both of those areas by strategically promoting himself during his seven title defenses as 106 & Park’s “Freestyle Friday’s” champion. He also held the Hot 107.9 freestyle crown in Atlanta, even though he was born and raised in Rochester, New York. The nimble business footwork culminated with an on air signing by Jermaine Dupri to his So So Def/Virgin record label.

With diamond-encrusted Afroman piece in tow, SunN.Y. is preparing to unleash Overnight Celebrity. We recently caught up with the affable rap artist to talk about New York pride, industry tactics and beating the freestyle rapper jinx.

Being a former freestyle champ on 106th & Park yourself, what are your thoughts on Jin’s “retirement”?
Real spitters ain’t quitters. That’s all I got to say about that. Real spitters ain’t quitters. He made us all look bad by doing that. People already buy into the myth that freestyle rappers can’t make records. He just [reinforced] that.

As you stated, there is a perception out there that freestyle artists like yourself don’t make good recording artists.
Yeah… it’s funny because people are like; maybe JD can help this kid get over the hump because cats that freestyle can’t make songs -- instead of thinking maybe JD saw something in me. I hope that JD can use his industry relationships and [clout] to get me the [visibility] I need to bring the freestyle culture back to the mainstream. You need that. Kanye West used his position [at Roc-A-Fella] to bring conscious rap back to the forefront. I guarantee he wouldn’t have been able to do that if he was on any other label. Dave Chappelle did a lot too. Somebody got to break
through. Lil Flip broke through for Houston and that whole movement.Now you got Slim Thug and Mike Jones selling units. At the end of the day, I just want a million people to say, ‘Damn, so that’s what the East Coast sound like.

If you had to think of one thing that you’ve learned from Jermaine Dupri that other aspiring recording artists can use, what would it be?
The main thing JD told me was don’t try to do what’s happening right now. That’s what a lot of cats are doing. Everybody right now feels they got to have a club record. I never hear Eminem in the club and he sell more records than anybody. Do you. That’s the main jewel I took away from our[conversations].

Do you think most rap artists today are doing records just to capture regions as opposed to making music they personally believe in?
Of course. I hate to say it, but one of my favorite rappers, Fat Joe, is doing that. [On Lean Back] he said ‘It took a down south brotha to bring your boy out…’ talking about Lil’ Jon... Fat Joe should have never said that. Since when did a New York [rapper] have to change to be heard?”

What do your people in New York think about you going to Atlanta to sign with So So Def?
People could say the same thing about me? Yeah… but the difference is that Atlanta showed me so much love and support. Hip-Hop is oversaturated in New York. I went down [to Atlanta] and the people booed me, but I just kept on rapping. I turned those boos into cheers. I always say, Rochester bred me, but Atlanta fed me.

With rap music’s attention span being so short, do you think most artists today lack knowledge about the culture’s history?
There’s a serious lack of knowledge of history. That’s why the Game on his album talking like he the best rapper ever. That’s like me saying I’m the best rapper on So So Def… well, that’s kinda a stupid example because I am. [Laughs]

Ten years ago it was the West Coast dominating the charts and radio. Back then, New York rappers were having a hard time getting airplay in their own city. That lead to a lot of animosity and fueled the coastal beef. Do you see the same situation existing today with the current success of the South?
The south is doing it’s thing right now. The problem is fans don’t decide what’s hot or not. It’s like Olivia’s joint when it dropped on 106 & Park. That shit got attention out the gate. Ain’t that many people called in to request that song. That song ‘New York’ that Ja Rule did… that shit was the biggest fuckin’ song of the year. It didn’t get no play. Right now it’s all about the Scream tour. BET is behind [that tour] so I guarantee you’re going to see some Marques
Houston and B5 up in the countdown.”

Do you think there’s too many cats in rap game right now?
It’s definitely too many cats in the game… well, let me take that back. I’ll say there’s too much exposure. Hip-Hop is everywhere now. Corporations is like, damn you got this… nigger… 50 Cent selling eight million records, maybe he can sell some shoes. VH-1 is doing a Hip-Hop awards show. When the fuck has VH-1 cared about Hip-Hop? We all know who’s behind it. The only problem I have is that the image they portray is fuckin’ up my community. I got white boys thuggin’ harder than niggas. Then you got white boys thuggin’ because they saw it on TV. I’m glad 50 Cent can sell eight million records. If I can sell eight million records, that’s eight million
lives I know I’ve touched.

hiphopfan200
View Public Profile
Send a private message to hiphopfan200
Find More Posts by hiphopfan200
Add hiphopfan200 to Your Buddy List

08-01-2005, 11:35 PM

k_kiss
08-02-2005, 12:20 AM
The south is doing it’s thing right now. The problem is fans don’t decide what’s hot or not. It’s like Olivia’s joint when it dropped on 106 & Park. That shit got attention out the gate. Ain’t that many people called in to request that song. That song ‘New York’ that Ja Rule did… that shit was the biggest fuckin’ song of the year. It didn’t get no play. Right now it’s all about the Scream tour. BET is behind [that tour] so I guarantee you’re going to see some Marques
Houston and B5 up in the countdown.”

for thoose who r lazy 2 read it all

relentless
08-02-2005, 02:52 AM
lol, props. I rememba game did an interview sayin jas new york record was good but got no play in the west coast. My boy was up in oakland last christmas and he said it was played eveywhere up there, dont know why people tryin to shut down legitamate bangers like new york and put up weak songs like balla baby or some shit.

k_kiss
08-02-2005, 03:00 AM
:agree: thas real talk^^^

Dermo
08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
so is the dude saying that holivia's track was played cause its a G Unit track or what ?

Eimz_T
08-02-2005, 07:46 AM
ya kinda, he's saying that companies are deciding who sells nowadays, like g-unit is endorsed so all g-unit's videos are hyped up regardless while there are better songs which don't get the same kinda promo so they won't sell

k_kiss
08-02-2005, 10:50 AM
ya it was played kuz...its g unit...and its tru...fans dont decide whats hot or not anymore

zemben
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
That's why companies are being sued these days...

Fans dont decide anymore...

Look at SunNY, he has a hot-ass track out there and it aint gettin any airplay, they doin it the right way but since Virgin isnt paying radios, then they aint playin his shit...

Industry is fucked up!