PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual Source Awards Nominations

murda_murda
08-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Artist of the Year – Male Solo
The Artist of the Year is the total package – the physical embodiment of hip-hop. He/She has the ability to command respect on wax, radio, and stage that sets them apart from their peers. This MC creates memorable songs that personify the essence of hip-hop.
--THE NOMINEES:
Jay-Z (My pick to win)
Nelly
Baby aka Birdman
LL Cool J
Ja Rule

Artist of the Year – Female Solo
--THE NOMINEES
Eve
Missy Elliott (My pick to win)
Lil Kim
Ms Jade
Trina

Artist of the Year – Group
--THE NOMINEES:
The Roots
Lil Jon and The East Side Boyz (My pick to win)
Jurassic 5
Field Mob
Bone, Thugs-N-Harmony

Breakthrough Artist(s) of the Year
Come out strong or don’t come out at all! The Breakthrough Artist of the Year recognizes those artists who shot through the surface of a densely populated industry and made waves. A solid debut, not just a hit single, denotes those worthy of this honor.
--THE NOMINEES:
Bone Crusher
50 Cent (My pick to win)
Clipse
David Banner
The Diplomats

Single of the Year – Male Solo Artist
Whether it’s from an established or a breakout artist, this song made noise nationwide and is considered a timeless classic. It hit big everywhere – first and foremost, on the urban streets from coast to coast, on the radio and, most definitely, in the clubs.
--THE NOMINEES:
“In Da Club” - 50 Cent (Producer: Dr. Dre) (My pick to win, probably won't win because of the Benzino/ Eminem beef, probably will go to Nelly or Benzino, because he co-owns the Source)
“Hot In Herre” – Nelly (Producer: Neptunes)
“Rock the Party” – Benzino (Producer: Mario Winans)
“Thugz Mansion” – Tupac feat. Anthony Hamilton (Producer: 7 Aurelius)
“Good Times” – Styles (Producer: Swizz Beatz)

Single of the Year – Female Solo Artist
--THE NOMINEES:
“The Jumpoff” – Lil Kim feat. Mr. Cheeks (Producer: Timbaland)
“Satisfaction” – Eve (Producer: Dr Dre)
“Work It” – Missy Elliott (Producer: Timbaland) (My pick to win)
“My Neck, My Back” – Khia (Producer: DJ Taz & Platinum House)
“B R Right” – Trina feat. Ludacris (Producer: Kanye West)

Single of the Year – Group
--THE NOMINEES:
“Grindin’” – Clipse (Producer: Neptunes) (My pick to win)
“Sick of Being Lonely” - Field Mob (Producer: Jazze Pha)
“Dipset Anthem” – The Diplomats (Producer: Heatmakerz)
“What’s Golden”- Jurassic 5 (Producer: DJ Nu-Mark)
“Tainted”– Slum Village (Producer: K Riggins)

Single of the Year – Collabo
The Single of the Year, Collabo represents the best offering of two or more artists on a single track. This memorable song is a tour de force musical alliance that has been echoing around the hip-hop spectrum for some time without any signs of fading.
--THE NOMINEES:
“Neva Scared” Bone Crusher feat. TI and Killer Mike
(Producer: A. Johnson)
“Like A Pimp” David Banner feat. Lil Flip (Producer: David Banner)
“I Don’t Give A #%!”- Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz
feat. Mystikal & Krayzie Bone (Producer: Lil Jon)
“What Happened to That Boy” - Baby feat. Clipse
(Producer: Neptunes) (My pick to win)
“Move B*tch” – Disturbin’ Tha Peace feat. Mystikal & I-20 (Producer: KLC)

R&B/Rap Collabo of the Year
Melodic choruses are now commonplace on rap cuts, and hard beats lace R&B joints. This song fuses two sides of the musical spectrum into one melodious mix that resonates with hardcore male and female listeners.
--THE NOMINEES:
“Beautiful” – Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell Williams
(Producer: Neptunes)
“Can’t Let You Go” – Fabolous feat. Lil Mo
(Producer: Just Blaze & E Bass)
“Thug Lovin’” - Ja Rule feat. Bobby Brown
(Producer: C- Santana)
“All I Need” - Fat Joe feat. Tony Sunshine
(Producer: Kool & Dre)
“Dilemma” - Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland
(Producer: Bam & Ryan Bowser) (My pick to win)

Fat Tape Song of the Year
Every month, the “Fat Tape” column in THE SOURCE magazine chronicles hip-hop’s hottest street anthems. These underground tracks come from all genres of hip-hop, and were heavily featured on the mixtape circuit.
--THE NOMINEES:
“What We Do” - Freeway feat. Jay-Z & Beanie Sigel
(Producer: Just Blaze)
“Magic Stick” – Lil Kim feat. 50 Cent
(Producer: Fantom of the Beats & Sha Money)
“Made You Look” (Remix) Nas feat. Jadakiss & Ludacris
(Producer: Salaam Remi)
“In Da Wind” – Trick Daddy feat. Big Boi & Cee-Lo
(Producer: Jazze Pha)
“Guess Who’s Back” - Scarface feat. Jay-Z & Beanie Sigel
(Producer: Kanye West) (My pick to win)

Lyricist of the Year
The Lyricist of the Year is the MC we’d listen to a cappella. They’ve got that signature delivery that keeps you nodding long after the hook is over. With each ill rhyme or witty metaphor, they keep heads arguing about who’s the nicest on the mic. Their dominance sets trends and influences rhyme patterns and subject matter.
--THE NOMINEES:
Jay-Z (My pick to win, Kweli comes close)
Nas
Talib Kweli
Scarface
Gza

Live Performer of the Year
The live performance aspect is crucial to an artist’s credibility. The Live Performer of the Year knows how to fully represent their music onstage through an energetic delivery, solid performance and, of course, the ability to ignite a crowd. No studio artists accepted here.
--THE NOMINEES:
Busta Rhymes
Ja Rule (My pick to win, Busta comes close)
David Banner
Common
LL Cool J

Video of the Year
A hip-hop video represents the story and/or theme of a song while painting a provocative picture that’s instantly memorable. A big budget or celebrity appearance means nothing if the images do little to advance the beats and rhymes.
--THE NOMINEES:
“Work It” – Missy Elliott
(Director: Dave Meyers)
“The Streets” – WC feat. Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg
(Director: Chris Robinson)
“I Don’t Give A #%!” – Lil’ Jon & The East Side Boyz feat. Mystikal & Krayzie Bone
(Director: Gil Green)
“Tainted” – Slum Village (Director: Chris Robinson)
“Thug Holiday” – Trick Daddy
(Director: Nick Quested & Ted Lucas) (My pick to win, Missy comes close)

Producer of the Year
These days, hip-hop producers are just as prominent as the artists are. The Producer of the Year is recognized for their identifiable style, unmatched skill and reoccurring presence throughout the year. These producers must have their own identity, separate from the artists they’ve worked with.
--THE NOMINEES:
Just Blaze
Jazze Pha
The Neptunes
Kanye West (My pick to win, probably because he is my favourite producer, if not the Neptunes will win for sure)
Timbaland

R&B Artist of the Year – Male
R&B and hip-hop will forever be married. THE SOURCE recognizes that hip-hop’s cousin should get some love. R&B Artist of the Year combines soul-stirring hooks with street savvy lyrics.
--THE NOMINEES:
Jaheim – Still Ghetto (Divine Mill/Warner Bros.)
R.Kelly – Chocolate Factory (Jive) (My pick to win)
Ginuwine – The Bachelor (Epic)
Raphael Saadiq – Instant Vintage (Universal)
B2K – Pandemonium (Epic)

R&B Artist of the Year – Female
--THE NOMINEES:
Lil Mo – Girl Next Door (Elektra)
Amerie – All I Have (Columbia)
Floetry – Floetic (Dreamworks)
3LW – A Girl Can Mack (Epic)
Aaliyah – I Care 4 U (Blackground/Universal) (My pick to win, it should be a no-contest)

Independent Album of the Year
This album didn’t need approval from one of the major record labels. Instead its promotion and distribution were fueled by an independent passion for hip-hop and it garnered enough street cred to make an impact without significant radio airplay or other mainstream exposure.
--THE NOMINEES:
Little Brother - The Listening (ABB) (My pick to win)
Baby D - Lil’ Choppa Toy (Big Oomp)
Cormega - The True Meaning (Legal Hustle)
Paul Wall Chamillionaire – Get your Mind Correct (Paid In Full)
Zion I – Deep Water Slang (Raptivism)

Dancehall-Reggae Album of the Year
This album helped further the dancehall/reggae movement into the mainstream, while staying true to its traditional roots in the streets of Jamaica.
--THE NOMINEES:
Beenie Man – Tropical Storm (Virgin)
Sean Paul – Dutty Rock (VP/Atlantic)
Buju Banton – Friends For Life (VP/Atlantic)
Elephant Man – Higher Level (Greensleeves) (My pick to win, his cd is hot, sean paul comes close)Wayne Wonder – No Holding Back (VP/Atlantic)

International Album of the Year
From Cambodia to Cuba, from Japan to Germany, hip-hop has crossed international borders and created a cross-cultural language through music. This new category recognizes the artist or group who has successfully promoted hip-hop in their native country and has put out an album worthy of international acclaim.
--THE NOMINEES:
Blak Twang – Kik Off (Big Dada) UK
Kaos – Exit (Astralworks) CANADA
Booba – Temps Mort (45 Scientific) FRANCE
Kick The Can Crew - Magic Number (Warner Japan) JAPAN
Orishas – Emigrante (Surco/Universal Music Latino) CUBA

(Don't know none of these artists)

Best Acting in a Movie by a Rapper
Hip-hop has long gone Hollywood. But the rap artists in this category did not make some weak cameo appearance. They were principle characters in a major feature that made moviegoers forget about their last album and instead anticipate their next leading role.
--THE NOMINEES:
Mos Def – The Italian Job (Character: Left Ear)
LL Cool J – Deliver Us From Eva (Character: Ray Adams) (My pick to win, he can act)
Eve – Barbershop (Character: Terri Jones)
Ice Cube – Barbershop (Character: Calvin Palmer)
Cam’Ron – Paid In Full (Character: Rico)

Trendsetter of the Year
This artist is brimming with personal style. Whether it’s their unique fashion sense, their distinct lyrical flair, or their showy personality, this person’s uncanny flavor is constantly imitated, but never duplicated.
--THE NOMINEES
Baby aka Birdman (My pick to win, he invented the bling)
Cam’ron
Lil Kim
Pharrell
Fabolous

murda_murda
08-31-2003, 02:15 PM
Album of the Year
A hot single is common in hip-hop, but a solid album is like a rare jewel. The Album of the Year category recognizes full-length releases that are slamming from beginning to end—no fast-forwarding necessary. These albums received both critical and commercial acclaim for their lyrical content, top-notch production and original concepts.
--THE NOMINEES:
Scarface - The Fix (Rap-A-Lot/Def Jam South)
Lil Kim – La Bella Mafia (Queen Bee/Atlantic)
Jay Z – The Blueprint 2 (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam)
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin’ (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) (My pick to win, probably won't because of the Benzino/ Eminem beef)
Nelly – Nellyville (Universal)

who yall think is gonna take home an award, who u think should have been nominated, eminem wasn't on the list

Loungin
08-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Wow you posted alot! I don't care, I just want Ll Cool J or Ja Rule to win all of them! (And Ashanti if she is on one!)

MurdaIncChick
09-02-2003, 04:15 PM
I hope Ja wins one he's got 3 noms right? I think he has a really good chance for live performer of the year. Out of all the rappers in there Ja Rule has the best stage presence.I'm not saying that becuz I'm a fan it's cuz I know from watching him on t.v. and how hype he gets the crowd.

Damien
09-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Ja Rule does do a good job in concerts from what I've seen. But I feel bad for him & Ashanti at the Superbool Performance.

murda_murda
09-02-2003, 08:57 PM
could u tell me exactly what happened at superbowl, all i remember, they got booed and ja spat on the stage

MurdaIncChick
09-03-2003, 04:08 PM
^^^thats exacty what happened not sure why though